Friday, July 5, 2013

Book Blog #44: Marked by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast

Title: Marked
Authors: P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast
# of Pages: 306 (paperback)
Genre: YA, Paranormal, Romance
Rating:★☆☆☆☆
Synopsis: The House of Night series is set in a world very much like our own, except in 16-year-old Zoey Redbird's world, vampyres have always existed. In this first book in the series, Zoey enters the House of Night, a school where, after having undergone the Change, she will train to become an adult vampire -- that is, if she makes it through the Change. Not all of those who are chosen do. It's tough to begin a new life, away from her parents and friends, and on top of that, Zoey finds she is no average fledgling. She has been Marked as special by the vampyre Goddess, Nyx. But she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers. When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite club, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny--with a little help from her new vampyre friends.
Review: I have no comment on the cover.

Let's start with Zoey, our five year old sixteen year old protagonist.

"'...It's been like a million years since Broken Arrow beat Union." 'Sixteen.' I'm crappy at math, but K's math impairment makes me look like a genius."
Based on the quote above (which is found on page two), it's obvious to the reader that Zoey doesn't know what a hyperbole is is SO much smarter than her friends. And Zoey's character is created so that she seems like a little, whinny baby who thinks it's her job to save vampires and humans a relatable outcast who's destined to be great.

SPOILERS AHEAD

Okay, enough with the sarcasm. I obviously don't like her. I find her really immature (which is why it really confused me when the Goddess of vampires or whatever told her that she was wise beyond her years). For example:

"'Huh?' I said. Speaking of boobs - I was totally sounding like one. (Boob...hee hee)."
I just don't get how that has anything to do with the story. At all. The author's concentrate on way too many insignificant details and made the plot really, really boring. I get that they were trying to make it funny (right?), but did you see me crack a smile? No.

Going back to the characters, the whole Erik and Zoey thing was really unbelievable. I don't feel the chemistry between them probably because THERE IS NONE!!! They just met each other for heaven's sake! There is no way that Erik could fall for her in that short amount of time yet he's already sharing spit!

I don't get the point of the book either. Like, Zoey becomes the leader of the Dark Daughters. Big whoop. And it's not like she had to try very hard to get the position.

What I really would have liked would be if the authors didn't make Aphrodite so...weak, I guess. She seems more like the person who would have better comebacks and more of a competitive side to her. I can't understand why she just doesn't, like, make Zoey have a little "accident". She'd be doing us all a favor if she killed Zoey.

Alright, maybe that would be taking that too far. Just because I hate Zoey to the point where I wish her dead doesn't mean that Aphrodite has to kill her. She can just ruin Zoey's life instead.

I think I'm getting a little off track, so I'll conclude this review for now. It's an awful book.

No comments:

Post a Comment