Sunday, July 7, 2013

Book Blog #45: Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

Title: Hush, Hush
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
# of Pages: 391 (hardback)
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Paranormal
Rating: ★★★★☆
Synopsis: A SACRED OATH
A FALLEN ANGEL
A FORBIDDEN LOVE

Romance was not part of Nora Grey's plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how hard her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Patch draws Nora to him against her better judgment.

But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is and seems to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.

For she is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those that have fallen - and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost Nora her life.

Review: Some points I would like to cover:


  1. How I feel about the cover/first impressions
  2. My feelings of Nora, Patch, and Elliot (will contain SPOILERS)
  3. It's likeness to Twilight (will contain SPOILERS)
  4. Overall feelings
What I'm going to do for this review is go point by point and elaborate on them. Points two and three WILL contain spoilers.

1) If I hadn't heard of this book before, I would never have read it in the first place. The cover just didn't appeal to me. It's dark, and there's a dude looking like he's in pain (For some reason I decided to ignore the fact that he had wings. But I was pleasantly surprised when I read the prologue. It had a mysterious tone that I just LOVED!!! Honestly, I thought that this book was going to be like A House of Night series, not good. But I was dead wrong.

2) SPOILERS!!! I'm so glad that Nora didn't suck as a protagonist. She was awesome enough to meet my approval. And Patch, despite his slight cliché appearance, was hilarious What I really loved was the relationship between Nora and Patch. What I think sets their relationship apart from other relationships in other books is that Nora had this resistance from Patch. She wasn't going to give into him easily like so many other characters in different books.  Patch was the flirt, of course. He was kind of a mystery throughout the whole book (not so much the fact that he was a fallen angel, I guess that. But more the fact that he actually wanted to kill her was a shock), which made him even MORE attractive. 

Now, Elliot, on the other hand, was no good at all. I hated him the moment he was introduced into the book. What really tipped me off was when he helped Nora bat. Gross. I thought he was kind of a creep. I'm not exactly sure what was going through my mind, but I totally suspected that Elliot was a killer. His friend (I forgot his name...) didn't even cross my mind; he was such a minor character. So that was a surprise. But I still don't like Elliot; after all, he was still involved in the badness...

3) Still spoilers. I didn't realize this until near the ending of the book, but there seems to be a likeness to Twilight. And, I know what you're thinking. Nothing seems to be original anymore. But I thought that I would bring it up anyway. So Patch would kind of be like Edward, the hot, supernatural dude. And Nora would be the (much improved version) of Bella. Nora/Bella tried to figure out who Patch/Edward really is, and end up finding useful information on the Internet (such as how dangerous vampires/fallen angels are). At the end part, there's that big fight where Nora jumps off the rafters. She brushes with death, but ends up okay, kind of like Bella (not the rafter part, the brush with death part). And, um, I had thought up some other similes, but I kinda forget them. So it's KIND OF like Twilight, but maybe I'm just looking too deep into it.

4) No spoilers. So, yes, overall I loved it. It did really surprise me too, on just how well it was written. Of course, it helped that I read a particularly bad book before, but I give most of the credit to the author. I like how it's not just romance, but also a bit of mystery. Recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment