Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Book Blog #46: Gilt by Katherine Longshore

Title: Gilt
Author: Katherine Longshore
# of Pages: 432 (paperback)
Genre: YA, Historical Fiction, Romance
Rating:★★★☆☆
Synopsis: When Kitty Tylney's best friend, Catherine Howard, worms her way into King Henry VIII's heart and brings Kitty to court, she's thrust into a world filled with fabulous gowns, sparkling jewels, and elegant parties. No longer stuck in Cat's shadow, Kitty's now caught between two men--the object of her affection and the object of her desire. But court is also full of secrets, lies, and sordid affairs, and as Kitty witnesses Cat's meteoric rise and fall as queen, she must figure out how to keep being a good friend when the price of telling the truth could literally be her head.

Review: I am not a historian. I know close to nothing of King Henry the Eighth other than he had a lot a wives, many who ended up dead.

I also knew that Catherine Howard had affairs.

This book, although Kitty is the protagonist, completely revolves around Catherine Howard. It's a very watered-down version of her life and of what happens to her and those around her. Because it is told from Kitty's POV, you don't get all the details. So don't expect them.

I don't know, I think I should have done more research on the topic before I read the book. I feel like I would have enjoyed the story a lot more. However, Longshore also takes plenty of liberties, so doing more research might have made me annoyed with the story. I don't know. But I think it deserves a reread.

Maybe I'm just not that obsessed with the time period. But it just wasn't that exciting too me. Maybe I actually wanted more detail. Or maybe I was affected by the people who were judging me when they realized what the book was about. But it's not a bad book. The cover looks good, the story was pretty much written in the 1500s. Go ahead and read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment