Saturday, July 27, 2013

Book Blog #49: Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick

Title: Crescendo
Author: Becca Fitzpatrick
# of Pages: 427 (hardback)
Genre: YA, Angels, Fantasy
Rating: ★★★☆☆
Synopsis: Nora Grey's life is still far from perfect. Surviving an attempt on her life wasn't pleasant, but at least she got a guardian angel out of it. A mysterious, magnetic, gorgeous guardian angel. But despite his role in her life, Patch has been acting anything but angelic. He's more elusive than ever (if that's possible) and what's worse, he seems to be spending time with Nora's archenemy, Marcie Millar.

Nora would have hardly noticed Scott Parnell, an old family friend who has moved back to town, if Patch hadn't been acting so distant. Even with Scott's totally infuriating attitude, Nora finds herself drawn to him - despite her lingering feelings that he is hiding something.

If that weren't enough, Nora is haunted by images of her murdered father, and comes to question whether her Nephilim bloodline has anything to do with his death. Desperate to figure out what happened, she puts herself in increasingly dangerous situations to get the answer. But maybe some things are better left buried, because the truth could destroy everything - and everyone - she trusts.(less)
Review: I found this book to be very confusing. I'm not sure if its because it took me longer than usual to read it (I was watching anime and reading manga 24/7 busy!), but I don't think that I was the definition of five star quality, let alone four stars. The story was all of the place. Throughout the story, I was puzzling over what it was actually about.

Now, I'm not sure why, but I just can't shake the feeling that it's similar to the Twilight Saga. Because its not. Not really. I kept trying and trying to pull out bits of the story line and proclaiming it a replica of the hot vampire romance novel. But then something later on in the story would counteract it. It was a very frustrating process. If you've read m review of the first book, then you know that I tried (and failed) to conducted this comparison. But I'm going to try again anyway.

SPOILERS AHEAD!

1) Scott is introduced into the story. He doesn't get along with Patch's kind, just like Meyer's werewolves and vampires don't get along. Scott's part of this group, like Jacob is part of a pack. In the beginning of the story, Bella Nora sees Jacob Scott as a potential boyfriend.

2) Nora's weak. She's your average girl, just let Bella if you ignore Nora's bloodline and Bella's mind-power-thingy. And this point is actually one factor that dragged down the star rating. I realized that she's not a kick-butt protagonists I like to read about. She's just a girl who the guys want. Like Bella.

I stil think that the two points of made a weak (I can counter them myself, but I won't. It would make me look bad in my own review), but it's the best I've got for now. I hope at least my points are valid; it's been a while since I have set eyes on anything Twilight.

SPOILERS END!

I do think that this book deserves a reread, not because it's good, but because I think I've forgotten part of the beginning of the book since it took me practically a week to read and because I was busy fan girling over Nastu, Naruto, and Kyo. But based on this first reading, I'd advise you to read the first one and stop. It's a bit of a let down, this one it.

No comments:

Post a Comment