Monday, September 30, 2013

Book Blog #63: Black Boy by Richard Wright

Title: Black Boy
Author: Richard Wright
# of Pages: 448 (paperback)
Genre: Classics, African American Literature, Autobiography
Rating:★★★★★
Synopsis: Richard Wright grew up in the woods of Mississippi amid poverty, hunger, fear, and hatred. He lied, stole, and raged at those around him; at six he was a "drunkard," hanging about in taverns. Surly, brutal, cold, suspicious, and self-pitying, he was surrounded on one side by whites who were either indifferent to him, pitying, or cruel, and on the other by blacks who resented anyone trying to rise above the common lot.

Review: I don't like nonfiction. I've only read a handful of autobiographies in my life. Yet I have to say that this book is one of my favorites.

I know what some of you are thinking; what can possibly be interesting about a guy talking about himself. Now, if you AREN'T thinking that, I completely understand. You have already discover the beauty of an autobiography. However, if you ARE thinking that, then let me tell you; when your reading Black Boy, you forget that you're reading an autobiography. Sometimes there are scenes that seem too cruel to be true, but it happened. It's an amazing experience.



If you haven't read this book yet, don't be shy. At the very least, read just part 1. Part 2 was slightly less interesting because it gets into politics, but it was interesting nonetheless. Recommended!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment