Friday, February 7, 2014

Book Blog #94: Physik by Angie Sage

Title: Physik
Author: Angie Sage
# of Pages: 576 (paperback)
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Adventure
Rating: ★★★☆☆
Synopsis: When Silas Heap unSeals a forgotten room in the Palace, he releases the ghost of a Queen who lived five hundred years earlier. Queen Etheldredda is as awful in death as she was in life, and she's still up to no good. Her diabolical plan to give herself everlasting life requires Jenna's compliance, Septimus's disappearance, and the talents of her son, Marcellus Pye, a famous Alchemist and Physician. And if Queen Etheldredda's plot involves Jenna and Septimus, then it will surely involve Nicko, Alther Mella, Marcia Overstrand, Beetle, Stanley, Sarah, Silas, Spit Fyre, Aunt Zelda, and all of the other wacky, wonderful characters that made magyk and flyte so memorable.
Review: It wasn't exactly my cup of tea.

I had to continuously to remind myself that this book is written for a younger audience and that it's not going to be as interesting as other YA books I've read. However, I also kept in that if Sage was that great of a writer, her books would be interesting to people of all ages.

A major turn-off was the POV switching. I've expressed my dislike for POV switching, and this is no exception. I'm afraid that I'm disliking this book more and more, but I'm afraid to give it a bad rating if it's just because Sage is using a style of writing that is only appealing to younger readers.

The stupidity of the characters that I have referred to in my review for Flyte still exists in the character in Physik. It's incredibly irritating. The adults, at least, could act a little smarter, especially the higher-ups like Marcia.

If you've loved this series up to this point, then please do read this book (although I think it's the worst one so far in the series). If you DO NOT like this book, then you'd might as well just stop reading. I doubt that the story is going to get any better, despite my positive memories of reading The Septimus Heap series.

No comments:

Post a Comment