Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Book Blog #160: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Title: Red Queen
Author: Victoria Aveyard
# of Pages: 383 (hardback)
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Romance
Rating: ★★★★☆
Synopsis: The poverty stricken Reds are commoners, living under the rule of the Silvers, elite warriors with god-like powers.

To Mare Barrow, a 17-year-old Red girl from The Stilts, it looks like nothing will ever change.
Mare finds herself working in the Silver Palace, at the centre of those she hates the most. She quickly discovers that, despite her red blood, she possesses a deadly power of her own. One that threatens to destroy Silver control.

But power is a dangerous game. And in this world divided by blood, who will win?

Review: "'You want me to pin my entire operation, the entire revolution on some teenaged love story? I can't believe this.'"

Well, I sure can.

Based on the title and a quick glance over the synopsis on the back, I thought Red Queen would rival The Demon King. But a few pages in, I check a different online synopsis to find it being compared to the Graceling and The Selection. If you haven't reading either of this books, they're completely different. Despite the fact that I gave The Selection five stars (the same amount as Graceling), Graceling is in a completely different league than The Selection.

In hindsight, the online synopsis was fairly accurate. There are components from both books in Red Queen, and I would consider it better than The Selection (which is mis-rated) but not as good as the Graceling. Despite that lack of suspense and excitement throughout the plot (I found it very predictable), this book kept drawing me to it. I finished it in a reasonable amount of days, which may have been a result from the quality of the book, my YA deprivation these past months, or both.



I would recommend this book (but not HIGHLY recommended).

No comments:

Post a Comment