Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Book Blog #166: Curse of the Bane by Joseph Delaney

Title: Curse of the Bane
Author: Joseph Delaney
# of Pages: 455 (paperback)
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Horror
Rating: ★★★★☆
Synopsis: The Spook and his apprentice, Thomas Ward, rid the county of witches, ghosts, boggarts, and other creatures of the dark. And there's some unfinished business to attend to in Priestown. Deep in the catacombs lurks a creature the Spook has never been able to defeat; a force so evil that the whole county is in danger. The Bane!

But the Bane is not their only enemy. The Quisitor arrives, intent on hunting down anyone who meddles with the dark. Thomas Ward and the Spook must prepare for the battle of their lives.
Review: Pretty much enjoyed the sequel as much as the first one.

To address the horror aspect of the book, most of it's more gross than scary. While Delaney is a good writer, he's not at writing horror (but you won't see me complaining). I read this book at night, and it wasn't scary like I expected it to be. The "horror" scenes lack the build up of suspense that usually freak me out. It has the grotesqueness I would expect from the genre but not the scariness.

The Last Apprentice series reminds me a lot of The Ranger's Apprentice series (which shouldn't be surprising). Both books were published within the same year, so neither author copied the other. The reason why I'm bringing this up is because I think the reason why I like The Last Apprentice so much is partially because I enjoyed The Ranger's Apprentice. Don't get me wrong; they both have very different aspects (for one, I didn't have to worry about reading Ranger's Apprentice at night, and I find Halt more admirable than the Spook). But if you like Ranger's Apprentice, you'll like this series too (and vice versa).

Like the first book, it's a very quick read. I finished it within 24 hours. Recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment