Sunday, December 20, 2015

Book Blog #176: Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

Title: Their Eyes Were Watching God
Author: Zora Neale Hurston
# of Pages: 219 (paperback)
Genre: Fiction, Classic, African American
Rating: ★★★☆☆
Synopsis: Told in the captivating voice of a woman who refuses to live in sorrow, bitterness, fear, or foolish romantic dreams, it is the story of fair-skinned, fiercely independent Janie Crawford, and her evolving selfhood through three marriages and a life marked by poverty, trials, and purpose.
Review: Although it has been a couple of weeks since I finished the book, I will do my best to review it.

There are some really great messages about love, relationships, and nonconformity. Hurston's attention to detail - from the game of checkers to the carefully selected names - was admirable.

However, I was not enthralled by the story line. Most of Janie's life is unimpressive as she is continuously influenced by those around her. While I understand that this is part of her journey to finding her identity, the resolution of her conflict through her third marriage is not a satisfactory ending. Her continuous dependence on men through all of her marriages defeats the sense of feminism that the story was trying to develop.

This book did not meet my expectations and is among the less impressive classics I have read in my life time. While Their Eyes Were Watching God was decent overall, I would not recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment