Sunday, August 14, 2016

Book Blog #184: One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez

Title: One Hundred Years of Solitude
Author: Gabriel García Márquez
# of Pages: 429 (paperback)
Genre: Adult, Fiction, Classics
Rating: ★★☆☆☆
Synopsis: The novel tells the story of the rise and fall of the mythical town of Macondo through the history of the family. It is a rich and brilliant chronicle of life and death, and the tragicomedy of humankind. In the noble, ridiculous, beautiful, and tawdry story of the family, one sees all of humanity, just as in the history, myths, growth, and decay of Macondo, one sees all of Latin America.
Review: A past teacher recommended this book to me, praising it as "favorite book". But I don't get it.

After I finished reading One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest,  a book that actually takes place in an insane asylum, I thought I (foolishly) thought I couldn't read a book any weirder this year. But, of course,  I was wrong.

This book reads more like a history book for Buendia family with very little dialogue. Combined with the absurdities of this families life (including loose morals and plenty of incest to go around), I had a hard time reading, let alone enjoying, One Hundred Years of Solitude.

Winner of the Nobel Prize? I MUST be missing something. But right now, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment