Saturday, December 16, 2017

Book Blog #206: Turtles All the Way Down by John Green

Title: Turtle All the Way Down
Author: John Green
# of Pages: 286 (hardcover)
Genre: YA, Contemporary, Fiction
Rating:  ★★★★★
Synopsis: Sixteen-year-old Aza never intended to pursue the mystery of fugitive billionaire Russell Pickett, but there’s a hundred-thousand-dollar reward at stake and her Best and Most Fearless Friend, Daisy, is eager to investigate. So together, they navigate the short distance and broad divides that separate them from Russell Pickett’s son, Davis. Aza is trying. She is trying to be a good daughter, a good friend, a good student, and maybe even a good detective, while also living within the ever-tightening spiral of her own thoughts.
Review: This is one of the best books I've read in a long time.

I can only imagine how difficult it must have been for John Green to publish a book following the big success he had with The Fault in Our Stars. Although I feared the book would not live up to my expectations, these worries were probably nothing compared to his own.

Luckily, Turtles All the Way Down far from disappoints.

“I can no more choose my thoughts than choose my name” - Aza, p.59

Green had me at page one. At first, I was skeptical of his writing style. The opening chapter included a long-winded account of her thoughts which came off as messy and unfocused. However, I soon realized that was the EXACTLY what Green was aiming for. Aza's struggle in dealing with invasive thoughts and anxiety reveals how difficult living a "normal" life can be with mental health issues. Her pain becomes the reader's pain; as Aza falls down into the spiral of her own thoughts, so will the reader.
My good lines are always stolen” Davis, p.145
Unlike Davis, Green's best lines are his own. Although not everyone will be able to relate to Aza, Green writes various philosophical ideas into the characters' dialogue that are beautifully, yet modernly worded. His writing style is an art form; it's captivating.



For John Green fans and non-John-Green fans alike: I recommend this book to you 100%.

No comments:

Post a Comment