Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Book Blog #215: Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Title: Ready Player One
Author: Ernest Cline
# of Pages: 384 (ebook)
Genre: YA, Science Fiction, Dystopia
Rating: ★★★★☆
Synopsis: In the year 2045, reality is an ugly place. The only time teenage Wade Watts really feels alive is when he's jacked into the virtual utopia known as the OASIS. Wade's devoted his life to studying the puzzles hidden within this world's digital confines, puzzles that are based on their creator's obsession with the pop culture of decades past and that promise massive power and fortune to whoever can unlock them. When Wade stumbles upon the first clue, he finds himself beset by players willing to kill to take this ultimate prize. The race is on, and if Wade's going to survive, he'll have to win—and confront the real world he's always been so desperate to escape.
Review: Although it took me a long time to finish this book (partially because of school), it was a very enjoyable read.

I starting reading Ready Player One after I watched the movie and realized it was based off a book. The movie was thrilling, but I had my suspicions that it deviated from the original story since many movies glamorize characters for the big screen.

These suspicions proved to be correct; the way the main characters are described in the book are much closer to what I'd expect characters like them to look like in their situation rather than the beautiful actors they used in the movie.

It's been over-said, but it's definitely applicable here: the book is better than the movie. I don't want to spoil anything, but one of the characters experiences a different series of events than they do in the movie, and what happens to them in the book has a greater impact than the character did as a whole in the movie. (I know I'm being vague, but it's the best I can do).

I would 100% recommend this book. While it took me a while to finish it, it should be a very quick read; once you start reading it, you won't want to put it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment