Sunday, September 9, 2018

Book Blog #220: Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly

Title: Hidden Figures
Author: Margot Lee Shetterly
# of Pages: 368 (paperback)
Genre: Nonfiction, History, Feminism
Rating: ★☆☆☆☆
Synopsis: Starting in World War II and moving through to the Cold War, the Civil Rights Movement and the Space Race, Hidden Figures follows the interwoven accounts of Dorothy Vaughan, Mary Jackson, Katherine Johnson, and Christine Darden - four African American women who participated in some of NASA's greatest successes. It chronicles their careers over nearly three decades as they faced challenges, forged alliances, and used their intellect to change their own lives, and their country's future.
Review: I LOVED the movie adaptation of Hidden Figures. Sadly, I cannot say the same for the book.

Hidden Figures reads like a textbook. After watching the movie, I thought the book would be a narrative but instead I got an extremely dry history lesson on African American women in NASA.

I would recommend the movie to anyone, but I would recommend the book to no one.

No comments:

Post a Comment