Sunday, November 2, 2014

Book Blog #137: The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness

Title: The Ask and the Answer
Author: Patrick Ness
# of Pages: 517 (paperback)
Genre: YA, Science Fiction, Dystopia
Rating: ★★★☆☆
Synopsis: Fleeing before a relentless army, Todd has carried a desperately wounded Viola right into the hands of their worst enemy, Mayor Prentiss. 

Immediately separated from Viola and imprisoned, Todd is forced to learn the ways of the Mayor's new order. 

But what secrets are hiding just outside of town? And where is Viola? Is she even still alive? And who are the mysterious Answer? 

And then, one day, the bombs begin to explode...
Review: August 24,2014-September 5, 2014
Pages 1-213

I have temporarily stopped reading this book because I have a lack of time to do so. I plan to finish the book in the future; for now, it will remain unrated.

Reading notes:

I've been really busy lately, so I haven't had as much recreational time as I would prefer. However, I am sure I'll get through this book, no matter how long it will take me!

Up to the end of Part 1, Todd in the Tower, everything seems grand. The book starts pretty much where the first one left off, and the writing is the same. However, when I turn the page, I am met with a surprise.

This book has a POV switch.

You cannot believe me anguish in that moment. The first book was wonderful, and I've heard so many good things about this one. But then THIS happens...it seems like a horrible nightmare.
And of course after reading a few pages, it's as bad as I was suspecting. There's the overlap of Todd's and Viola's chapter, which I find really annoying. I've already been told that that event has occurred; you don't need to tell me it again through a different person.

October 31, 2014 - November 2, 2014
Pages 213- end

While I am still disappointed by the POV switching and how it disrupts the flow of the book, I was still moved by the ending. I don't want to give up too much, but Ness knows how to get the reader in the end. His back and forth writing style instills the chaotic-ness of the situation in the reader.

I'm really hoping that in the last book (which I am defiantly planning to read) Ness will not find it necessary to switch between Todd's and Violet's point of view as that would improve the series immensely.

No comments:

Post a Comment