Sunday, March 29, 2015

Book Blog #158: To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Title: To Kill A Mockingbird
Author: Harper Lee
# of Pages: 376 (paperback)
Genre: YA, Classics, Historical Fiction
Rating: ★★★★☆
Synopsis: To Kill a Mockingbird is primarily a novel about growing up under extraordinary circumstances in the 1930s in the Southern United States. The story covers a span of three years, during which the main characters undergo significant changes. Scout Finch lives with her brother Jem and their father Atticus in the fictitious town of Maycomb, Alabama. Maycomb is a small, close-knit town, and every family has its social station depending on where they live, who their parents are, and how long their ancestors have lived in Maycomb.
Review: First Impressions - Before Reading

I had no idea what this book was about; I had avoided any synopsis, review, and discussion. The extent to my exposure to the book is someone accidentally telling me that there is a court case and that one of the characters is Boo Radley. If I were to guess what the book was about, looking at the cover in front of me, I would say it would be about a boy (in the 1900s, since this book is a classic) who is somehow involved in killing a mockingbird.

After Reading

This is probably the best book I've ever been required to read. Sure, George Orwell's 1984 and Animal Farm were fine, but TKAM surpasses all of them.

I was totally wrong with my plot prediction before reading, and I was pleasantly surprised with Scout and her relatable personality (she was part of the reason why I loved this book so much). It was very revealing of life in the early-mid 20th century in southern America.

I defiantly recommend it!

(Sorry if this review is sloppy, I was writing it while watching Dan and Phil's live show).

No comments:

Post a Comment