Saturday, June 29, 2019

Book Blog #246: Small Steps: The Year I Got Polio by Peg Kehret

Title: Small Steps: The Year I Got Polio
Author: Peg Kehret
# of Pages: 180 (hardback)
Genre: Childrens, Nonfiction, Autobiography
Rating: ★★★★★
Synopsis: Ten years ago, in a riveting story of courage and hope, Peg Kehret wrote of the months she spent in a hospital when she was 12.
Review: This book EXCEEDED my expectations.

I couldn't find this book at any bookstore, but luckily it was still available at my local library. I would never have read this book if it wasn't recommended to me; the cover doesn't look very interesting, title doesn't sound uplifting nor exciting, and nonfiction isn't always my favorite genre.

However, this story flows off the page. It's not your typical, dreary, clinical nonfiction book. It reminds me of 1 Liter of Tears, except I'm not entirely sure why (1 Liter of Tears is very different; it's diary format up, and it ends a bit differently than Small Steps). Small Steps is surprisingly lighthearted while also being educational about what it's like to have polio.

The epilogue is less about her having polio and more about where the author is today. It might not be relevant to everyone; the author is using the book to try to reconnect with the people who helped her during her polio journey as well as connect with her readers who were impacted by the publication of her story. However, it's great to hear that Kehret is not just using this book to tell her story but also to foster relationships and communities.

Although one of the main genres for this book is "children's", I'm not sure this was actually the target audience because this story is enjoyable for people of all ages. It's only 180 short pages, and the quality of the story is definitely worth the time it takes to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment