Sunday, October 6, 2013

Book Blog #64: City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare

Title: City of Ashes
Author: Cassandra Clare
# of Pages: 453 (paperback)
Genre: YA, Paranormal, Fantasy
Rating: ★★★☆☆
Synopsis: Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? Clary would love to spend more time with her best friend, Simon. But the Shadowhunters won't let her go--especially her handsome, infuriating newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil--and also her father. When the second of the Mortal Instruments is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor suspects Jace. Could Jace really be willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?

Review: WARNING! This review will contained uncensored spoilers for Cassandra Clare's City of Bones.

Why must you make this so hard for me to write a review????????? This is crazy. I'm not sure how to convey to y'all my feelings for this book. But, somehow, I'll manage. For your sake.

After watching the City of Bones movie, I have come to like Clary A LOT more. She's not that annoying anymore. BUT she's still not the best protagonist in the world. In contrast, Jace...he seems extra stupid in this book. His stupidity kind of showed through at the end of City of Bones when he was hanging out with Valentine, but this book brought it to a whole new level. My opinion of Alec, Isabelle, and Simon stays the same. But Magnus...I found him to be a lot more interesting in this book. I can see why everyone likes Magnus so much; he's personality is hilarious.

Speaking of hilarious, this book is funny. I'm not sure if it's suppose to be a comedy, but the humor is what makes me like this book. So if anyone out there has a hard time enjoying the series, try laughing at some of the dumb parts. Trust me; it'll improve the quality of the book A LOT.

But, despite all of this, I cannot seem to bring myself to rate the book anything other than three stars, just like City of Bones. It's neither terrible nor over-the-top fantastic. And I'll tell you why:



So, if you liked the first book, then read the second book. But if you DIDN'T like the first book, then you probably won't like this book very much. And if you haven't even read the first book, then you really, really shouldn't read this book yet. It'll be too confusing.

No comments:

Post a Comment