Friday, October 18, 2013

OTS #6: Fandoms

Hello everyone! Happy Friday!

In my last OTS, I talked about City of Bones, and it's movie and sequel. I said, "I won't be able to read [City of Ashes] anytime soon". And while this was true at the time, I was able to obtain a copy the second time I stopped by the book store. I already posted the review for it! City of Glass is in my possession too, so that review should be coming sometime soon.

While reading the book and posting update (and such) on my progress with The Mortal Instrument series, I noticed that there is quite a large TMI fandom.  Not as big as the Harry Potter fandom (I really want to reread the Harry Potter series; it's been so long since I've read it that I can't remember most of the plot), of course, but still big enough to be noticeable. I don't think I'll ever be apart of the TMI fandom because I don't like the books enough.

There are also other fandoms I noticed when I was on Instagram. Dr. Who is one I see a lot (I've never seen a single show) and all of the anime fandoms too (I'm part of a few of those). But intermixed in these fandoms, I saw another fandom; the My Little Pony fandom.

Isn't that show for five year old girls? I couldn't understand why older girls AND guys were so interested in this TV show. So I decided to watch an episode myself.


I did a little search on Youtube and came up with My Little Pony's Friendship is Magic Season 2 Episode 23 (watch the video yourself above!). I braced myself for the awesome magically power of the ponies. Unfortunately, I was disappointed. The message of this particular episode was clear; don't spread gossip about other people. This was completely fine by me; it's a good message. However, the ending really, really bugged me.

You see, there are three ponies who work for the newspaper. Their editor-in-chief was pushing them to keep writing about gossip, and after the advisor for the newspaper found this out, the editor-in-chief was demoted to printing newspapers. She is seen wearing a visor (part of the uniform for her job), and the staff photographer takes a picture of her. The flash blinds her and makes her stubble backwards onto the printer, splashing black ink all over. This makes the three ponies (who I mentioned earlier) laugh at her expense.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this picture? They shouldn't have laughed at the ex-editor-in-chief; it spoils the message. And the show still seemed like a little kids show; I don't see the appeal. If someone can tell me exactly what the appeal of this show is, please, please tell me!

No comments:

Post a Comment