Saturday, March 15, 2014

Book Blog #98: Deadly by Julie Chibbaro

Title: Deadly
Author: Julie Chibbaro
# of Pages: 292 (paperback)
Genre: YA, Historical Fiction, Mystery
Rating: ★★★☆☆
Synopsis: Every week more people fall ill, and despite thorough investigation, there's no cause in sight. It's not until the city's most unlikely scientist-sixteen-year-old Prudence Galewski-takes a job as an assistant in a laboratory that the evidence begins to fall into place. It seems one person has worked in every home the fever has ravaged; Mary Mallon, and Irish immigrant dubbed "Typhoid Mary" by the press. Strangely, though, Mary hasn't been sick a day in her life. Is the accusation against her an act of discrimination? Or is she the first clue in a discovery bound to change medical history?
Review: The cover is defiantly misleading.

I was so scared to pick up this book because I thought it was going to be a murder mystery of some sort (I don't bother reading the back cover because sometimes it spoils the story). However, after receiving encouragement from a friend, I decided to read it.

It was not at all a murder mystery in the sense I was thinking of. Although it took me a while to find the time to read Deadly, and although it started off slower, Chibbaro's novel is a relatively fast and entertaining read. When I finally convinced myself to sit down and read the book, I found myself captivated by the story. I couldn't put it down!

However, a warning to those who plan to read it; the ending is a huge disappointment. I turned the page expected to find more, only to see "Author's Note" printed in bold letters on the next page. It really lowered my rating for the book.

It's a short, enjoyable read, nonetheless, so I recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment