Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Book Blog #96: Incarceron by Catherine Fisher

Title: Incarceron
Author: Catherine Fisher
# of Pages: 442 (paperback)
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Dystopian
Rating: ★★☆☆☆
Synopsis: Incarceron is a prison so vast that it contains not only cells and corridors, but metal forests, dilapidated cities, and wilderness. It has been sealed for centuries, and only one man has ever escaped. Finn has always been a prisoner here. Although he has no memory of his childhood, he is sure he came from Outside. His link to the Outside, his chance to break free, is Claudia, the warden's daughter, herself determined to escape an arranged marriage. They are up against impossible odds, but one thing looms above all: Incarceron itself is alive .
Review: Well, that took a while.

While reading Incarceron, my life became very busy, so I was unable to read this book in a timely manner. However, this also means that the book failed to draw my attention, and, instead of reading it in my small amounts of free time, I watched anime. I've experienced similar situations before, and if the book was truly good, I would be drawn to the the book than Japanese anime. But, alas, I was not.

The cover looks so beautiful! This fact, however, may be part of the reason why I was disappointed. I overestimated this book. In reality, there was poor sentence structure and third person point-of-view switching (which, as some of you know, I strongly dislike).  The POV switching is incredibly distracting and spoiled the majority of the surprises that could have made the plot line more exciting.

Also, I wish there was more background development. It was one of those books where the author tosses the reader in head first and does little explaining, forcing the reader to figure out the new world on his or her own. However, the amount of information of the world supplied throughout the plot was not sufficient enough for me to completely understand the dystopia.

I do not recommend this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment