Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Book Blog #84: Magyk by Angie Sage

Title: Magyk
Author: Angie Sage
# of Pages: 584 (paperback)
Genre: YA, Fantasy, Adventure
Rating: ★★★★☆
Synopsis: Septimus Heap, the seventh son of the seventh son, disappears the night he is born, pronounced dead by the midwife. That same night, the baby's father, Silas Heap, comes across an abandoned child in the snow -- a newborn girl with violet eyes. The Heaps take her into their home, name her Jenna, and raise her as their own. But who is this mysterious baby girl, and what really happened to their beloved son Septimus?
Review: This is my second reading of the Septimus Heap series after several years. I remember enjoying this book very much and even rated it five stars (and added it to my favorites shelf) when I joined Goodreads.

Unfortunately, Magyk has found it's way off the favorites shelf.

Sage's writing style didn't impress me as much as it did all those years ago. I don't know it my standards are higher now, but I no longer consider this book to be at the same level as some other books such as The Fault in Our Stars. Now, don't get me wrong; Sage is still a wonderful writer. She created an engaging, entertaining read that is also CLEAN, thus is enjoyable for all ages.

But it was missing that special something that other YA books have (although some can classify this book as Middle Grade, but I still think that it fits in the young adult section). Maybe Sage found it in Fyre, the seventh book. I wouldn't know yet because I am rereading the Septimus Heap series in honor of it's release this past summer.



Despite my slight change in opinion about this book, I still highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment