Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Book Blog #124: Requiem by Lauren Oliver

Title: Requiem
Author: Lauren Oliver
# of Pages: 391 (paperback)
Genre: YA, Science Fiction, Romance
Rating: ★★☆☆☆
Synopsis: As her country erupts in open rebellion, Lena fights for the resistance and must make a heartbreaking choice between two loves. After saving Julian from a death sentence, Lena escapes with him and other members of the resistance. But as she embraces her love for Julian, a boy from her past returns and causes her to question everything. In the meantime, Lena's best friend, Hana, is engaged to Portland's young mayor and is living a safe, proscribed, loveless life. The story is told from both Lena and Hana's points of view.
Review: After seeing the title of the first chapter: Oh no.

It's always bad news when the chapter title is a character's name. More than likely, the next chapter will have someone else's name as it's title AND will be from his or her point of view. I wish my hypothesis of POV switching would be wrong. But I wasn't. After reading the second chapter from the other character's POV, I have already knocked the book down to four stars. I didn't buy Requiem to hear a different character's story! I wanted to hear Lena's! After the cliff-hanger in Pandemonium, I needed to know what happened next in Lena's romantic life. I didn't care too much about anything else. '

The POV switching also sets alarm bells ringing in my head. Why is Oliver doing this for THIS book? This wasn't how she wrote the previous books, so why the change? I know why Roth did it for Allegiant, and I was afraid that something similar is the reason for the change in Requiem.



If you liked the other two books, go ahead and read this one just to finish the series. But if you haven't, it's not worth your time.

No comments:

Post a Comment