Saturday, August 16, 2014

Book Blog #129: The Giver by Lois Lowry

Title: The Giver
Author: Lois Lowry
# of Pages: 179 (paperback)
Genre: YA, Science Fiction, Fantasy
Rating: ★★★★★
Synopsis: Jonas' world is perfect. Everything is under control. There is no war or fear or pain. There are no choices. Every person is assigned a role in the Community. When Jonas turns twelve, he is singled out to receive special training from The Giver. The Giver alone holds the memories of the true pain and pleasure of life. Now, it is time for Jonas to receive the truth. There is no turning back.
Review: 
Original review post on Goodreads - 5 stars

This was one of the first dystopian books I read, and it was because of this book that I'm hooked on anything dystopian today. It's sweet and short, yet so full of detail. And when I was craving for more? I read her other "sequel" to it.

Second review, third reading - 5 stars
"Almost everyone citizen in the community had dark eyes...But there were a few exceptions: Jonas himself, and a female Five who he had noticed had the different, lighter eyes" (Lowry 20).

Those are the darkest lighter eyes I have ever seen.

I reread The Giver after I watched the movie because, after I saw it, I realized I had forgotten parts of the movie. So in able to a full compare and contrast, I had come to the decision to read this book for the third time.

After finishing the book, I was shocked to find how inflated the romance is in the movie. The book barely has any of that; some romance is hinted at, but is not one of the focuses of the book.

Instead, The Giver focuses on different types of love and caring: the love for family, friends, and even the people around you. And exploring that aspect love is a beautiful experience, more beautiful that what is shown in the movie. 




I absolutely recommend this book! Read it before you watch the movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment