Monday, November 14, 2016

Book Blog #190: Othello by William Shakespeare

Title: Othello
Author: William Shakespeare
# of Pages: 314
Genre: Fiction, Classics, Plays
Rating: ★★☆☆☆
Synopsis: In Othello, Shakespeare creates a powerful drama of a marriage that begins with fascination (between the exotic Moor Othello and the Venetian lady Desdemona), with elopement, and with intense mutual devotion and that ends precipitately with jealous rage and violent deaths.
Review: I don't have too much to say about this play. It was exactly what I expected from a Shakespearian play: difficult to read and a predictable, simplistic plot line. Although it may have been revolutionary for its time, it can't even compare to more modern works.

However, as I am not used to Shakespeare's writing style, I was able to find more amusement in the No Fear Shakespeare version...but that's not the version I'm reviewing. If Shakespeare was modernized, I would have given it three stars. But since Shakespeare's writing style hinders comprehension, I had to take off a star.

For recreational reading, I would not recommend this play, unless you are already interested in Shakespeare's works. While classic literature is always worth reading, I feel like I wouldn't have been missing much if I hadn't read Othello.

No comments:

Post a Comment