Sunday, May 19, 2013

Book Blog #29: Crank by Ellen Hopkins


Title: Crank
Author: Ellen Hopkins
# of Pages: 537 (paperback)
Genre: YA, Poetry, Realistic Fiction
Rating:★★★★☆
Synopsis: Ellen Hopkins chronicles the turbulent and often disturbing relationship between Kristina, a character based on her own daughter, and the "monster," the highly addictive drug crystal meth, or "crank." Kristina is introduced to the drug while visiting her largely absent and ne'er-do-well father. While under the influence of the monster, Kristina discovers her sexy alter-ego, Bree: "there is no perfect daughter, / no gifted high school junior, / no Kristina Georgia Snow. / There is only Bree." Bree will do all the things good girl Kristina won't, including attracting the attention of dangerous boys who can provide her with a steady flow of crank.

Review: At first I hated it.
And then I loved it.

No one told me it was a book of poems. Or at least something that looked like poems. But that's exactly what it was.

I hate poems.
I love poems.

Bree/Kristina was so messed up. I hated her for doing that to herself. But in the end, I just felt sorry for her.

Ellen Hopkins does something to you, inside. She makes you feel for her characters, makes you feel their despair, their happiness, their sickness. And in the least amount of words possible.

This book was the worst thing I ever read.
This book was the best thing I ever read.

---

Read the original post here!

No comments:

Post a Comment